1 of 2 known CRs to be owned by American Honda Motor Co., Inc. from new, and by far the lowest mileage of the two, 1,200 miles from new. The original window sticker, included with the car, lists “CVA” (Company Vehicle Administration) indicating that this car was to remain within company ownership from new, which it did for over a decade until our purchase of the car from a Honda employee in July 2019.
The other CR retained by American Honda is the Apex Blue Pearl car in their California fleet, which is loaned out to members of the media for press drives. Note that the CR model was only sold in the USA, so the CRs in the care of AHM are likely the only examples in Honda’s care worldwide.
This CR is the 652nd built of 699 cars. It is 1 of 140 CRs finished in Rio Yellow Pearl, making this color rarer than Berlina Black (269 cars) or Apex Blue Pearl (200 cars). It is fitted with the A/C & Radio option, making this example usable in all climates.
This S2000 CR is in 100% original & unmodified condition, and has remained as such from new. It has had only 1-owner from new, as described above. The car has been cared for to a stunning degree given its history, and drives as a brand-new example would.
This S2000 CR retains all of its original paint, verified by paint metering. Exterior, interior, engine bay, and trunk are all in truly excellent condition.
Honda maintained this example as-required periodically from new. Tires are the original Bridgestone RE070s, still showing their factory markings.
The car comes with the following:
- Original window sticker showing corporate vehicle labeling.
- Registration & insurance cards showing ownership by AHM.
- All original keys, including fobs.
- Original books and manuals.
- Original warning stickers & radio card.
- Original tonneau cover side pieces.
About the CR:
The S2000 CR or “Club Racer” is the most hardcore S2000 version offered worldwide, and was only sold in the S2000’s most successful market, the USA. The model was considered to be a retirement gift from Shigeru Uehara, the legendary chief engineer behind the original NSX, the S2000, and various hardcore Honda Type R variants. It is completely revised from a standard S2000, significantly stiffer, and intended for serious club racing track use while still retaining street legal status.
Changes from a standard S2000 include:
- 57-lbs weight savings versus a standard S2000 (when equipped with A/C & Radio).
- Sound deadening completely removed throughout.
- Springs, dampers, and sway bars stiffened to a high level, intended for serious track use.
- Aggressive front lip & rear spoiler, wind-tunnel tested to reduce lift by 70%-80% at speed.
- Removal of soft top for weight reduction, replaced by an OEM hardtop (painted in Berlina Black), an aerodynamically-optimized body color tonneau cover, and a rear brace which increases chassis vertical rigidity by a full 94%.
- Quicker steering ratio than standard, intended for immediate turn-in at the track, along with steering rack stiffeners that contribute to greater steering feel & less rack deflection.
- Less restrictive exhaust mufflers, resulting in a deeper sound.
- Spare tire deleted & replaced with a tire inflation kit for weight reduction.
- Bridgestone RE070 tires with wider rear sizing (the same tires as used on the NA2 NSX-R).
- Unique interior with suede-like surfaces, a grippy seat center material in a unique Black / Yellow pattern (similar to the Recaro “Tomcat” pattern), lightweight CR-specific shift knob, carbon fiber pattern center console, yellow stitching, and a “peak power indicator” in the dash readout.
- Grey-painted wheels, clear side markers, & matte black badges.